It's More Than Just Yield and Profitability Driving Canola Seed Brand Decisions in Western Canada
Stratus Ag Research recently released the 2018 Canola Seed Focus360 report. This report is designed to track growers’ experiences and reactions to the marketing efforts of the canola seed companies in Western Canada.
Along with containing the grower views of the major canola seed brands in the West, the following are key insights derived from the report.
- High profits and high yield continue to be the most important factors to growers when choosing a canola seed brand.
- Before committing to using a brand, growers rely on past use/performance, retailer discussions, yield and harvestability.
- The most common reasons a grower won’t consider using a seed brand is the belief that it yields lower than its competitors, or is priced too high.
- Direct contact with a seed rep or retail are the most impactful touchpoints for helping growers make decisions about the seed brands they use.
- Retailers have a strong impact on the sales of a brand – especially when they make multiple contacts with potential users. This is a relationship that continues to be important to growers.
The report illustrates the performance of canola seed brands as viewed by growers in the following key areas: purchase journey, positioning, promotion, channel effort and brand experience.
The Canola Seed Focus360 report delivers actionable insights that clients can use to:
- Establish clear product positions based on factors that drive farmer decisions.
- Identify competitive advantages based on farmer perceptions of product strengths and weaknesses.
- Identify ways to improve the quality of their customer experience.
- Define communication messages that resonate with farmers.
- Assess the impact of their advertising campaigns.
- Provide guidance and objectives to communication agencies.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of their direct contact with farmers.
- Identify ways to improve the effectiveness of their retail distribution.
- Assess the quality and effectiveness of their booking program offer and support materials.